We are committed to maximizing accessibility at the 2020 GRACLS Conference to the best of our knowledge and logistical abilities. Accessibility is about more than ADA requirements and entails creating a space and an experience that is inclusive, welcoming, and comfortable for as many different bodyminds as possible. Below are the accessibility measures we currently have in place. We welcome suggestions and feedback before, during, and after the conference.
Please send us an email to email@example.com if you have an accessibility need or request that you don’t see represented here.
- The SAC and RLP Buildings are fully accessible by ADA standards. All restrooms are accessible.
- Gender-inclusive restrooms in the SAC can be found in the following locations and are marked on the map provided in the program: 2nd floor, across from the Ballroom, 2nd floor, across from the Gender & Sexuality Center, 1st floor, food court area, next to Zen Japanese Food
- A gender-inclusive restroom in RLP can be found on the fourth floor, Room 4.128 (next to the Comfort Room), and is marked on the map provided in the program.
- Scent-free soap is provided at reception if you would like to take it to the restroom, use it, and return it.
- A designated space for rehearsing your paper, resting, and reflecting will be provided. Information will be posted here and in the program.
- We have built in 15 minutes of transition time between panels as well as a lunch break on both days.
- There will be breakfast tacos from Taco Deli, fresh fruit, coffee, tea, and water available at registration in Room 3.116 of the SAC beginning at 10am both Friday and Saturday and while supplies last throughout the day.
- Food options available on the first floor of the SAC include Starbucks, Zen Japanese, Chik-fil-A, Taco Cabana, and a Provisions on Demand kiosk.
- During panels and the keynote conversation, feel free to stand up, move to the back of the room, eat, drink, and do whatever you need to do to be comfortable in the space.
- During panels and the keynote conversation, questions can be written on paper and submitted to the moderator, or posed orally.
- During the keynote, we will have CART captioning set up. We will also be video recording the conversation and making it available after the conference on our website.
- During the keynote, in addition to posing questions orally or in writing on paper, audience members may also post questions and comments online via our Twitter, @gracls2020
- You can find photos of our conference spaces on this website.
Additionally, we respectfully request that all of our guests (presenters, moderators, and panelists) consider coming scent-free to the conference. For more information about the rationale for going scent-free and suggestions for how to reduce your chemical scent profile, please visit this helpful guide.
We also request that when checking in at reception each guest writes their pronouns on the stickers provided and adds them to their name tag, and that all guests are mindful of others’ pronouns and gender identity as expressed.
As GRACLS presenters, we kindly ask that you consider the following accessibility measures:
- Bring a few printed copies of your presentation for people who would like to read along. If preferable, you might write “Not for distribution” on your copies.
- Bring a few large-format (17 pt. or above) copies of your presentation.
- Provide verbal and/or written translations for quotations given in languages other than English.
If you are using PowerPoint, Keynote, Google Slides, or other visual presentation technology, please consider the following:
- Implement a high-contrast color scheme
- Limit the amount of text on each slide, or offer a handout of large amounts of text you cite
- Offer verbal descriptions of any visual aids you might reference during your presentation (photographs, pictures, charts, videos, etc.).
We thank all participants and presenters for thinking through these issues with us, and are happy to answer any questions now and throughout the conference.
The 2020 GRACLS planning committee wishes to thank the 2018 GRACLS planning committee for their excellent work on accessibility and hope to continue this important initiative.